Thursday 19 April 2012

Running around everwhere like a maniac is fun! (Really!)

I tend to run everywhere (short distance wise that is - I have no stamina!), which is quite entertaining for both myself and bystanders, except from those I run into that is. I think it's mostly entertaining for bystanders because I look stupid when I run (someone once said I ran like a dinosaur...) but, hey! An interesting technicality in my school rules means that theoretically I can't be told off for running in the car park or towards the main building because running is only banned in 'covered walkways' - being the rebel that I am, I sometimes break that too. So I intend to make full use of this loophole because, simply, I like to run. Not so simply, here is why:

- It's so much more efficent (Time wise that is - running burns more calories per mile than walking). I am really impatient so if I have the choice between a 2 minute walk all the way to the far side of the school or a 30 second jog, I'll chose the latter. Have you any idea how much time a day we spend walking everywhere, even short distances?! It all adds up
- I am quite prompt outside of school (5 minutes early is what I consider late!) but in school, clubs and lessons over run. Every teacher wants their lesson to start on time but think that the end of their lesson is the time when the next lesson starts meaning there are only two ways of being on time - apparate or run. And I'm too young to apparate...
- It adds more excitement to my day. It's like a little obstacle course - weaving between the chatting groups, dodging a year 7's giant rucksack, jumping up on to the side walk and swinging around corners, hopefully without any collisions. Because that is the kind of exciting thing that goes on in my life...
- If I run a little bit, I can claim to be exercising and healthy! Between that and all the stairs I have to go up - steep ones too! - ...okay, still pretty unhealthy. But a start nevertheless!
- Running fast is just really fun on its own in the right conditions. For me, the right conditions are when I'm feeling energetic (or angry...) to put on a burst of speed, it's raining or just finished but it's not cold because for me there is nothing better than the rain or splashing through a puddle (real mature), there's a slight wind against me so when I run I can hear that faint whistling that makes it seem faster. I mean, yes, fast for me is like 5 miles per hour for about 10 seconds but it's still fast relatively.

So why do you run? Long distances, short distance? When you can or when you plan? (I don't plan because if I plan something, it increases the chances of it never ever happening :/)

No comments:

Post a Comment