Sunday 29 April 2012

The awesome-ness of Chemistry

I'm in a really good mood with Chemistry at the moment. I've finally finished all my revision notes for the first unit of Chemistry! I'm in such a good mood I'd thought I'd write a blog post about why I love Chemistry.

I mean, yes, Chemistry is awesome in part because it basically helps us understand why things are made the way they are, like why graphite is special and can conduct electricity even though it's not a metal (free electrons!), and how things work together, like why I need fire to burn stuff (to exceed the activation energy needed to get the oxygen and the flammable stuff to react [I think...]). But I think the main reason people should love chemistry and have at least a basic understanding is all the chemistry related puns!!!

Completely by accident, I said to myself, 'Let's get cracking with this Chemistry revision!' and I was just about to start fractional distillation and cracking! (Look, I found it funny at the time.) 'Carbon is a girl's best friend' based off diamond being a allotrope of carbon  (I thought about putting that on a t-shirt once...). Dative covalent bonds - sharing is caring. And who hasn't heard 'I've lost an electron!' 'Are you sure?!' 'I'm positive!!!' ?! Not going to get me many marks on my exams but it's making revision a little less painful...

Okay, these probably aren't too hilarious, but in the post-revision daze, everything seems hilarious. Except metal extraction. That isn't such a fun topic. Anyone got any good chemistry jokes to share? (To be fair, all the good ones argon :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment